Practical Diary – Week 6

This week we as a group had to decide on dimensions of our rooms and what materials we’d use for the floor, walls and ceiling in each of our rooms. We then had to create our rooms in 3DsMax, unwrap it and create the diffuse, specular and normal map for the room. After creating the room I had to export it into Unreal Engine 4 (UE4).

There was an issue with dimensions that were noticed after a quick test of how the room scales in UE4 compared to the character despite already testing in 3DsMax with a box with the same dimensions as the character. So after we encountered this problem we scaled up our rooms to seem more realistic, especially cause my room contains bunk beds that would have practically been touching the roof at first.

After agreeing on our dimensions and creating the base room we started to input different texture ideas, we decided on a base texture for the walls that can be edited freely and a certain style for the floor and ceiling that we chose separately. After unwrapping the room using the simple flatten mapping option as it was only a box I got to texturing it using many different decals, layer styles and even editing the opacity of some layers to create what’s seen below.

Room textures

Once I had the base diffuse created I exported my room, opened UE4 and created a new project, like my last project I created a 3rd person game with no starter assets. The reasoning for it being a 3rd person game was so the character would have an actual shadow as the first person game only brings in the model of arms and a gun which wouldn’t look good at all once affected by lighting but I will be adjusting the player camera to make it seem like it’s first person and I chose not to have starter assets because I don’t need them.

I then created the specular map for my room to improve how it looks when under light, almost like it’s dull and wet as it’s an underground bunker and water could be dripping from above. When creating the specular map I realised I needed to invert the map on the floor and ceiling so the stones poking through are more prominent within the engine. Texture specular

Once I liked how it looked within the engine I went on to make the normal map for the texture, I did this in order make the walls and the ceiling come off as more realistic by making it look 3D. I did this by copying my specular map and going onto Photoshop 64 Bit and going to the height2normal tool in Filter > xnormal. After playing around and adjusting how much the walls and decals would stick out or sink into the diffuse I settled on one that I thought had the effect I wanted.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s