In my first week of Term 2 all I have worked on was a compass that may be used in the bunker when creating it. To create the compass I only used tools that I’ve worked with before such as extrude and chamfer. I created the compass in stages, first I created the main base for it, then I created the pin and needle in the centre before creating the ring on the top and I finished it by making the glass on top.
This was the first time I had created anything to represent glass and did so by creating a sphere and removing over half of it to get the top, I then assigned a material to it and lowered the opacity to 20 and increased the gloss and speculation level. I then proceeded to flatten and scale the shape till it fit appropriately to the object. I also learned how to see my triangle (Tris) count to make sure I kept to a minimum as I have a limit of 70,000 triangles for my room.
Here is the final product after texturing:
I am very pleased with the final product as I kept it at 592 Tris and still think it came out looking quite good, although If I wasn’t limited I would gladly make it much smoother with many more tris and I would have created a more sophisticated looking needle as the one in my compass is simply a 2D plain reshaped with welded points.