In this task I looked online for a job and studied what I would have to do in order to get to the point i could be applicable for the job.
I have searched for a job with GoodGame Studios and they are looking for a Senior 3D artist.
In this job I will have to:
- Coordinate and manage the workflow within the 3D department
- Develop the 3D art department according to the prescribed company goals
- Provide technical training to all 3D artists
- Support the art leads with visual development and elaborating on new and existing game projects
- Create high quality characters, vehicles, environments and other graphic elements for our products
- Compile reference materials as well as visual and technical style guides for all 3D artists
- Implement concept artworks and your own ideas
In my research I have discovered that the requirements for this job are:
- Completed degree or equivalent training course in graphic design, ideally with 3D art as a focus
- Extensive experience in high and low poly modeling and UV mapping
- Excellent knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, After Effects and Autodesk Maya
- Knowledge of ZBrush or Mudbox is advantageous
- Structured, result-oriented working approach, tailored to each individual project
- Experience in explaining technical skills and information, e.g. in workshops
- Very good social and communication skills
- Some experience of leading teams (technical or in general)
- Very good written and spoken English
I will also need some experience in the industry already which can be grabbed through freelancing, creating my own 3D work and games, entering competitions or getting a job which can give me experience without needing experience.
(Source is below)
Gamesindustry.biz. 2015. gamesindustry.biz. [ONLINE] Available at:http://www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs/goodgame-studios/germany/uk-and-europe/senior-3d-artist–m-f–id64154. [Accessed 30 September 15].
In order to reach those requirements I have searched for a course focusing in 3D art and animation which also gives me most the skills I need, the course I have looked at is the BA (Hons) Computer Animation Arts course at UCA Rochester.
The course will mainly include:
- Life drawing
- Storyboarding and 3D pre-visualisation
- Character design, set-up and animation
- Digital concept art and set building
- 3D modelling
- Rigging and skinning
- Lighting and rendering
- Editing and publishing
- Visual effects and animation
- Independent and collaborative CG arts and animation projects
- Publishing and promotion.
If the course does not meet all the requirements then I can learn the software I need to know in my own time. But to get onto this University course I will need:
- Minimum entry criteria of 220 UCAS tariff points, see list of accepted qualifications for further details
- Or Pass at Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (Level 3 or 4)
- Or Pass at Extended Diploma (Level 3)
- Or Access Diploma
- Four GCSE passes at grade C or above, including English (or Functional Skills English/Key Skills Communication Level 2).
My current college course (Games Development UAL Extended Diploma Level 3) meets the requirements needed to get on the university course and I have already met the requirement of four GCSE passes at grade C or above. (Source is below)
UCA. 2015. ucreative.ac.uk/ba-computer-animation-arts. [ONLINE] Available at:http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/ba-computer-animation-arts/entry. [Accessed 30 September 15].